Friday, August 26, 2005

The case of the missing restroom

This incident happen about 2 and half years ago. I met up with my friends to chit-chat in the bubble tea shop which my mum was working in.
After the bubble tea session with my poly friends, I feel an urgent need to answer to the call of nature. It was around 10.15pm, there was almost no one in the shopping all except my friends and the security guards. As I was washing my hands in the restroom, I could hear singing from the end of the restroom. It was a female voice and she was singing a Malay voice. I was glad that someone I with me in the toilet. But it was unusual; all the doors of the cubicles were opened. The door of the last cubical was half opened. Could the person who is singing is in the last cubicle? Why is the door half opened? Somehow, I don't feel like going into the cubical anymore.

I somehow forgot about the incident. Until a few weeks later, my mum told me that her colleague Yue met something 'unclean' in the very same restroom. Yue had heard someone singing sadly in the toilet. The 'person' sounded like this:” Mama.... Mama...." The song was sung in Malay.

My mum had another colleague Ming who was likes to chat with the customers. Most of the customers of the bubble tea shop were students. A few days after Yue's frightening experience, while chatting with a student, Ming was told of another incident which happened in the toilet. On the year in which the shopping mall first started its operation, someone committed suicide in the very last cubicle. She did it by hanging herself using with her school bag. It's hard to imagine how you can do that with your school bag right. She hung the bag on the hook of the door in the cubicle and she killed herself by putting her head between the hook and the bag.

Why would a person want to kill herself? She was a young student in a neighborhood school. It was said she ran away from home after receiving a scolding from her mother for her bad results. Her mum searched everywhere for her.

The next day, she was found dead in the cubicle. She had bloody 'nail-less' fingers. Before she committed suicide, she tortured herself by pulling out her finger nails.

Ming did not tell the customer about the Yue's experience before the customers told her the story.

It had been years since the incident. The shopping mall had gone through renovations. The toilet had already been demolished. I wonder where the Malay girl had gone.

No comments: