Wednesday, September 14, 2005

What I had for lurch

I had cous cous for my lurch... For local Singaporeans, You might ask me what is cous cous. Cous cous is a species of pasta originating in North Africa. So it actually tasted some what like pasta. Rather than being in the form of noodles or extruded shapes, cous cous is granular. Being granular, the texture is almost like rice, but it's quite tiny, the size of a sugar grain. So it's actually pasta in the size of a grain of rice.

You can't get couscous at the usual supermarkets. I bought my packet from Carrefour at $2.85.

So how do you prepare the cous cous? I use the rule of a thumb method.

Cous cous

Pour out the amount of cous cous which you can eat into a bowl.
I can only finish a tiny bowl.
Pour in enough stock to cover the cous cous. You can use chicken stock or vegemite stock and even fruit juice. Make sure the liquid you use is hot.
Cover the bowl and wait for 5 minutes.

Ready to eat cous cous in no time.

No comments: