Monday, December 11, 2006

Will it happen to me?

You can say that I worry too much (hehe... when I have too much time I like to worry about things). Looking at my grandma, I wonder if I will be like her when I became old... She was wepting while telling us some fond memories of my late uncle (he died this year). She's in total despair. She's worried about so many things... her future, other children.... etc..

Perhaps, Erik Erikson's theory of personality is true... People lead lifes in stages:
Stage One Oral-Sensory: from birth to one, trust vs. mistrust, feeding;
Stage Two Muscular-Anal: 1-3 years, autonomy vs.doubt, toilet training;
Stage Three Locomotor: 3-6 years, initiative vs.inadequacy, independence;
Stage Four Latency: 6-12 years, industry vs.inferiority, school;
Stage Five Adolescence: 12-18 years, identity vs.confusion, peer relationships;
Stage Six Young Adulthood: 18-40 years, intimacy vs.isolation, love relationships;
Stage Seven Middle Adulthood: 40-65 years, generativity vs.stagnation, parenting;
Stage Eight Maturity: 65 years until death, integrity vs.despair, acceptance of one's life.

My grandma belongs to the maturity stage... Since she can't gain integrity, she's despair.. I want to help her get out from it... But I don't think I can. The only thing I can do is to listen to her when I'm free.

Hope that she will get out from her depression.

No comments: